Our Healthy Skin recipes are now going to be part of our blog. This month’s recipe is from Rhapsody, led by Executive Chef Dean Zanella, offers a menu inspired by fresh Italian flavors and the incorporation of local, seasonal ingredients. For reservations, call (312) 786-9911 or visit www.rhapsodychicago.com.
Please enjoy this month’s recipe of an Apple and Hazelnut Salad. Here is how this delicious recipe is also great for you skin. Olive oil provides the fats that are incorporated into the layers of the skin to prevent dryness (very important in Chicago winters!). Celery, apples, and hazelnuts provide flavones and proanthocyanidins – both potent antioxidants that scavenge free radicals which normally break down collagen and elastic tissue, leading to wrinkles. A tasty way to smoother skin! Our chef also recommends pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
APPLE AND HAZELNUT SALAD
For the dressing: (can be made one day in advance)
¼ cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
2 TBSP honey
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
Sea salt and pepper
For the salad:
3-4 red apples depending on size (preferably local, Cortland apples are best or Pink lady for commercial)
4 stalks celery (no leaves)
1 head bibb lettuce
¼ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
¼ cup grated pecorino cheese
- Either with a knife or a mandolin, thinly slice the apples omitting the core. Immediately place the sliced apples in a bowl and toss with enough of the dressing so the apples are just coasted.
- Thinly slice the celery on a diagonal. Add to the sliced apples.
- Tear the bibb lettuce into medium size pieces and add to bowl.
- Add half the hazelnuts and pecorino cheese to bowl.
- Toss all ingedients with remaining dressing (you might not need all the dressing) and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad onto 4 bowls and top with remaining nuts and cheese.
Serve and enjoy.