During the month of Love, it’s time to be Wedding Ready! Yes, we realize your special day may not be for another 4-6 months, however, achieving perfect skin for your day may take 2-6 months. Here is a timeline to help make your wedding day blemish free.
6 Months Prior – See your dermatologist to discuss any skin issues you may have such as acne, brown spots, uneven tone, blackheads, and even excessive sweating (we’re the docs for that too!). If you have excessive underarm sweating, there is now a permanent solution with the MiraDry procedure. 2 Treatments spaced 6 months apart can leave you sweat-ring free.
5 Months Prior – Start (if you haven’t already) a skin regimen to help clarify your skin issues. The skin takes about 1 month to cycle from the bottom layer to the top, so it can take several months to get clear. Vitamin A retinoids, such as Renova, are good for pore size, fine lines, and controlling adult acne.
4 Months Prior – Consider getting a SilkPeel Microdermabrasion, or PCA Peel once a month to clear acne or reduce brown spots.
3 Months Prior – Check out your wrinkles between your brows – no one wants to squint or look stressed in wedding photos. Try Dysport to relax those muscles so you look fresh for your big day. One treatment lasts 3-4 months.
2 Months Prior – See your dermatologist if you have any stubborn skin blemishes that aren’t fading. Lasers and other treatments can help to fade them.
1 Month Prior – Get plenty of rest, exercise, and drink lots of water. Your skin will glow!
This month’s recipe takes care of not only your skin, but your heart as well! This Strawberry Bruschetta comes to us from Eating Well. (http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/strawberry_bruschetta.html)
Active Time:15 minutes
Total Time:15 minutes
- 4 thick slices whole-wheat bread
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups sliced or diced hulled strawberries
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone, (Italian cream cheese)
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until the sugar melts and the mixture begins to bubble, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add strawberries and stir until juices begin to exude and the berries are heated through, 30 seconds to 1 minute more.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone on each piece of toast. Top with the warm berries.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the sauce (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, microwave on High for about 1 minute (defrost first, if necessary).
Per serving: 203 calories; 5 g fat ( 2 g sat , 1 g mono ); 9 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 152 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Strawberries are a great source of Vitamin C, the essential “connector” necessary for collagen production. They also are high in anthocyanins (a type of flavonoid) which may have anti-cancer effects. Lemons provide more vitamin C, and the limonene compound helps scavenge free radicals which can damage skin. Mascarpone contains lactoferrin which helps stimulate the immune system and act as an antimicrobial agent to ward off infections.
Here are 5 ways to treat acne without antibiotics:
- Blue Light- The Blue Light treatment kills off acne causing bacteria, decreasing the pimples in a few short treatments. The Professional BLU Light treatments are done in our office every 2 weeks for 4 total treatments. You can also do your own blue light treatments with the Tria Skin Clarifying Blue Light. Be sure to get a $10 off coupon from us and purchase on-line.
- Glycolic Acid Cleansers and Lotions- Glycolic acid is derived from sugar cane and helps to exfoliate the skin and unplug pores. An added benefit is that it is anti-aging too!
- SilkPeel Microdermabrasions- Monthly treatments with the SilkPeel unclog pores, fade away pink scars, stimulate collagen production, and give your skin a healthy glow.
- Give Up The Sugar- Sugars in your diet (such as those in cookies and soda pop) increase hormones that lead to an increase in oil production, the primary cause of acne. Choose sugar free or savory options instead.
- Take Omega 3’s- Fish Oil Gelcaps, such as Omega Max, are anti-inflammatory and reduce pimples as well as help skin stay in good health.
This month’s Healthy Skin recipe comes from Whole Living. This Banana-Yogurt Smoothie is quick, easy, and great for the coming warmer weather.
- 2 teaspoons flaxseeds
- 1 medium banana (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- 2/3 cup ice cubes
- Place the flaxseeds in a blender and puree for 30 seconds until they are coarsely ground.
- Add the banana, yogurt, honey, and ice cubes and puree until smooth and thick. Serve immediately.
Flaxseeds provide an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and help with acne, rosacea, psoriasis, and eczema. Bananas provide magnesium, an essential nutrient for the health of the skin and for sleeping well! Bananas and honey help to promote good rest, which improves the health and function of your skin! Bon Appetit!
This month’s recipe comes from WholeLiving.com. It’s a Curry-Rubbed Salmon with Napa Slaw.
Curry Rubbed Salmon with Napa Slaw
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound Napa cabbage (1/2 head), thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 salmon filets (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add rice. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, mint, lime juice, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss.
- Heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat. About 10 minutes before rice is done cooking, place salmon on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Rub salmon with curry, and season with salt and pepper. Broil until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and serve alongside salad and salmon.
Pepper is full of antioxidants, while cabbage has an antioxidant known as quercitin. Carrots provide vitamin A which acts to reduce oxidants in the skin. Lime juice contains Vitamin C, which is necessary for collagen production. Grapeseed oil helps with moisturizing the skin and salmon is rich in Omega 3’s which are anti-inflammatory and help with acne, rosacea, eczema, and dry skin. Bon Appetite!
May’s Healthy Skin Recipe is a Walnut-Crusted Chicken Breast from Whole Living. Enjoy!
Walnut-Crusted Chicken Breasts
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, dried
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- Lemon slices, for serving
- Seasonal green salad
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, combine bread, walnuts, and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Process until fine breadcrumbs form. Transfer to a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat egg white until frothy.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dip each breast into egg white, letting excess drip off, and then into crumb mixture, pressing to adhere.
- In a large nonstick ovenproof skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned, 1 to 3 minutes. Carefully turn chicken over and put skillet in oven. Bake until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Serve chicken with lemon slices and green salad.
Walnuts are rich in Vitamin E, a potent antioxidant, to help quench free radicals and stop them from destroying your skin. They also are packed full of omega 3 fatty acids which are anti inflammatory and help with the skin’s moisturization. Eat them whenever you can!
Your skin is your largest and most visible organ, and taking good care of it will allow you to look and feel great. Take a look at these sites to learn more about treatments for skin conditions such as psoriasis and hyperhidrosis:
Psoriasis may be triggered by a combination of genetic predisposition and outside factors. Learn more about known psoriasis triggers on Psoriasis.org.
In some cases, psoriasis is accompanied by arthritis or joint pain and swelling. Find out how to recognize this condition early on Health.com.
Learn more about how and why the body sweats on the website of the International Hyperhidrosis Society.
Does underarm sweating negatively affect your life? Find out if miraDry is right for you with this information from the miraDry website.
Read more about excessive sweating and what it means in this article by The Huffington Post.
Ever feel that your moisturizer isn’t giving you enough hydration? Has your skin ever felt dry even though you have just applied a moisturizer? If you have answered yes to either of these questions then I recommend you give Hyalis a try. When you apply this fabulous serum underneath your current moisturizer it will deliver immediate moisture for youthful, radiant looking skin.
It’s a must have product if you travel on a regular basis and your skin suffers from constant dryness. If you’re just starting off on topical retinoid such Retin-A, it offers instant relief with surface dryness and redness. This is often a common side effect when just starting off on topical prescriptions creams.
My personal experience with Hyalis is that it gives my skin that glow and dewy, hydrated appearance. My skin definitely can’t survive the cold, dry winter months without Hyalis because it helps significantly with my surface dryness and skin sensitivity. It especially helps with allowing my night time moisturizer to penetrate deeper into my skin leaving it plump as well as hydrated.
Some fun facts about Sodium Hyaluronate, which is the main component of Hyalis, is that is has water retaining properties that creates a sponge like effect, absorbing up to 1,000 times its weight for optimal skin hydration. This wonderful molecule will literally draw in your moisturizer deep into your skin to offer instant relief and intense hydration.
- It will smooth and plump skin with the highest concentration of pure, pharmaceutical grade Hyaluronate for maximum tolerability and efficacy. Tip…great for under the eyes!
- Soothes stressed skin during the dry winter months and following any cosmetic procedure and helps to speed the recovery process.
- Minimizes the signs of skin aging and helps restore radiance.
Use AM and PM and you’ll see immediate results that you’ll love. Price $55
Julie Blecker is a licensed medical aesthetician who has worked in aesthetics for over 12 years. She performs a variety of aesthetic procedures including microdermabrasion, chemical peels and deep pore cleanse. She has a passion for aesthetics and making her patients feel great in their own skin.
…Miracle in a bottle.
I have been using Latisse for four years and my eyelashes have completely transformed from average to fabulous with only one thing…Latisse. I often get asked if I have fake lashes on or eyelash extensions. I have tried the fake lashes but I’ve never been very good at applying them and so half way through my evening, they are usually falling out and can make for an embarrassing situation! My secret is Latisse. And it’s less time consuming and overall less expensive than the alternatives. My lashes look great with mascara but I can even go without mascara now. They have made my lashes not only longer, but also fuller and darker.
And it’s very easy to use. Just apply directly to the skin of the upper eyelid margin and the base of the eyelashes (like using eyeliner) every night. It takes about four weeks for you to notice the effects but being patient is well worth it! Latisse is a prescription and can be purchased through our office. Give us a call and make a wish on your new eyelashes!
Trish, Patient Entry Staff and Cosmetic Coordinator